Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Belated Birthday

Yet again the blogging slacker in me has prevailed. Yes my son's birthday was almost 2 months ago and I am just now getting around to posting his!  Maybe it is just slacker Abby since I have yet to finish the thank you cards as well :(

Jameson's birthday went off without a hitch!  Lots of family and friends came to celebrate with us.  I decided to go with a frog theme and it turned out better than I could have imagined.  I think I may have missed my calling as a party planner.  Who knows maybe it will be in my future?

First I came across the idea to make cake pops as the party favors.  I must say they were absolutely amazing and simple to make!  I do have some tips if you plan to attempt making them.  

Recipe:
1 pre-made box cake
1 can of frosting
1 package Wilton's White Chocolate Chips 
(if you want colored use precolored chips.  Adding food coloring to the white chocolate will make it curdle and not work well)

Once the cake is completely cooled crumble it up into a bowl.  Mix in about 2/3 of the frosting until you have a gooey mixture.  Make small balls out of the make mixture maybe about the size of a quarter or a little larger.  Melt white chocolate according to directions on package.  Dip the sucker sticks into the white chocolate then insert into the ball and let cool in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (The refrigeration makes the next step a lot easier).  Dip the refrigerated cake pop into your melted white chocolate (The white chocolate needs to be super thin.  If yours is too think add shortening until you get the desired consistency).  Then put the sticks into a piece of styrofoam to dry (If you pre-poke the holes in the styrofoam this is much easier).  


Then I made some lovely lily pad cutout cookies, topped off with white chocolate flowers.


Of course being that it was frog theme I had to have frogs!  Jameson's smash cake and cupcakes!  I made the eyes from melted white chocolate and chocolate chips.  The tongue is strawberry fruit roll-up.


I also made a birthday banner by cutting out letters from scrapbooking paper and tying together with ribbon.


I then added blue punch to the mix and our party was complete!


It was a hit!  Jameson dug in and destroyed!




I had a friend make him an adorable 1st birthday shirt.  Here are some of his 1 year pictures.



This shirt says Big Guy not Big Gut ;)

I can't believe my little man is already a year old!  I am looking forward to the next year and the surprises it may bring us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...