Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How did you do that?


I have been asked several times in the last couple years exactly how I created Jameson's mural wall in his bedroom.  It was actually much simpler than it looks.  Unfortunately I don't have step by step pictures from when I did it but I have recreated a few of the steps for you to see.

I took my inspiration from his bedding, you can see the quilt hanging over the front of the crib.  I matched the paint colors using a paint deck but you can easily take your inspiration colors to a paint store and they can custom match the colors for you.

After selecting paint colors I painted 3 walls green and the mural wall brown.  I used Sherwin Williams Low VOC paint with a Satin Sheen, since I was 7-8 months pregnant.  The circles come next...



What you need:
Paint
Polycrylic
String
T-Pin
Pencil
Paint Brush
Tape Measure







1. Using a tape measure find the center of each circle and mark it on the wall using the pencil.
2. Create a large compass using the T-Pin, string and pencil.  Tie one end of the string to the pin and insert the pin into the wall at the center point you marked.  Then adjust the length of the string to the size you want your circle to be and tie that end of the string around the pencil.
3. Pull the string taut and draw your circle on the wall using the pin as the anchor point.
4. Paint the circle.

To save on the cost of paint I purchased Behr paint samples from Home Depot for the blue, yellow and orange.  Only $3.00 for each color and I couldn't beat that!

I wanted to paint circles using a different sheen of brown paint for a subtle effect.  As a low cost alternative to buying actual paint I purchased a clear water based polycrylic and to paint circles.


Now the easy part...Giraffes and Name decals.
That is right, they aren't painted on at all!  They are custom decals made from wallcovering.

For the blog purposes I will show how to make the name decal.

I used Microsoft Word and selected the Font and Size I wanted then printed out the letters 1 per sheet of paper.

Then cut the letters out.

Trace your letter onto the back side of the wallcovering.  Remember you need to trace the letter upside down so that your letters will read the right direction from the front.

Cut the letters out of the wallcovering.

Simple!  You have your decal!

I just used wallpaper paste purchased from my home improvement store to paste it up on the wall!

I hope this all made sense.  Let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

  1. You did such an amazing job with his room, thanks for sharing, the DIY decals I will so have to try

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Abby. It's much simpler than I thought it would be. I'll have to try this at some point. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...