On MSN today I came across this article. It is sad to say that I have actually had a couple of these things said to me. Yes I am a working mom just like millions of other women. Get over it!!
10 Things Never to Say to a Working Mom
1. It must be hard missing all those special moments every day.
(Yes it is hard, please don't remind me. That just makes it hurt worse!)
2. I suppose it's smart that you're working. You know, in case your husband leaves you some day.
(My marriage is strong and healthy. Who are you to think that it will end in divorce?)
3. I'm surprised you went back to work. Your husband seems so successful.
(Why can't I be the bread winner? Stop being so stereotypical!)
4. It's cute when they call your nanny "Mama."
(Oh no you didn't!)
5. I just love my kids too much to leave them during the day.
(I don't love my kids as much as you love yours? How dare you!)
6. Did you see Dateline? The one with the hidden camera in the day care?
(Yes, I have seen it. No, that is not typical. Yes, it scares me. I can't dwell on it.)
7. I could never let someone else raise my children. But that's just me!
8. I hated my mom because she was never home after school like everyone else's mom.
(Your mom worked to provide the life you had and you should be grateful for everything she did for you.)
9. You must feel so guilty.
(Yes and No! I wish I could spend every moment with my son. See every smile and get every kiss but I also need to provide a roof over his head and food for his tummy. Safety and security come first.)
10. I wish I were as laid-back as you and could just let the housework go.
(I wish I could just let it go too! I do what I have time for, if you don't like it go away!)
On the Flipside there is also this article. Being a SAHM mom is no vacation, people that think this need to borrow a baby for a day!
10 Things Never to Say to a Stay At Home Mom
1. When the kids are older, do you think you'll get a real job?
2. How June Cleaver of you!
3. Oh, so you don't work?
4. Since you have extra time on your hands, could you whip up a few dozen brownies for the bake sale tomorrow?
5. All day with your kids? I can't even imagine.
6. I'm jealous. I wish my husband were rich so I wouldn't have to work either.
7. What do you do all day, anyway?
8. I'm sure you're not the only one who's ever wasted money on a college degree.
9. That explains why your son is so clingy!
10. Weird. I assumed your house would be superclean