Thursday, May 27, 2010

I forgot...

So last week I was reading a story someone posted on WTE about a father that forgot to drop his daughter off at the babysitters, left her in the car in 100 degree temps and when he found her after work she was dead.  I was sick to my stomach reading it thinking about that poor little girl and the grief the father must be experiencing.  I would never be able to forgive my self for something like that.  Anyways...to the point...as I was reading it I thought "that will never happen to me".  I am a very attentive parent and my whole world revolves around my little man.  At least that is what I thought...

Yesterday morning I was driving to work as usual.  It is about a 20-30 min drive depending on traffic when all of the sudden I was startled by a 'sigh' in the back seat. I look in the rear view mirror and sure enough Jameson is right there being a good boy playing with his toy and I realize forgot to drop him off at my mother-in-laws!  It didn't get as far as me ever actually leaving him in the car but 'what if'??  

My first reaction was laughter, I giggled thinking 'oops what a silly mistake' it then evolved into a hysterical laugh as I am realizing what was going on and into an all out cry.  I felt mortified and the more I thought about it the more I sobbed.  By the time I got back to my mother-in-law's the sobbing had ended and I was in a calm state of shock, not exactly sure how to feel about the incident.  

I had a friend suggest today to always put my purse in the back seat with him so that when I will always have to get in the back seat.  That is one suggestion I will be taking!  As for how I am feeling about the situation now...I still can't believe it happened but I can't dwell on the 'what if's' of life.  I was dealt a very valuable lesson and was lucky that it didn't turn out for the worst.  It was a 'wake up' call not only to never let it happen again but to never think never.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...